How to Taco
Fri 18 Aug
TAKE YOUR TACO GAME TO THE NEXT LEVEL WITH SIMPLE TIPS FROM THE EXPERTS
Camden’s own cool cantina serves Mexican food in a patterned tile-lined cafe next to the canal. Want to know what makes their tacos so good? They let us in on the secret.
BAJA STYLE FISH TACOS
Fresh, summery and a great crowd pleaser.
- Prepare your fresh pico de gallo salsa by chopping tomato, white onion, jalapeño peppers, coriander, lime, salt and pepper and mixing them all together.
- Make the chipotle mayo – chipotle paste and a little bit of mayonnaise – and your guacamole, fresh chopped up avocado.
- Add a little Mexican beer – Modelo Especial larger works well – into your batter. In the batter goes the beer, plain flour and salt and pepper. Make sure there’s enough flour to make the consistency quite sticky.
- Take any meaty fresh white fish – we use monkfish – and dip it in the batter, then deep fry in a pan of vegetable oil.
- Warm your corn tortillas – shop bought is fine – then place one on top of the other for extra support to hold in all the saucy goodness.
- Add a layer of chipotle mayo, a layer of guacamole, two pieces of fish and top with thinly-sliced fresh red cabbage and your pico de gallo.
Stay true to Mexico
Use fresh ingredients
Ripe avocados, juicy limes and fresh, sweet mangos will boost the flavour of your tacos. Cafe Chula also use ethically-reared and free range meats.
Don’t be afraid of spice. Chilies can be used fresh or dried for different flavour effects – chipotle chillies give a wonderful warm, smoky flavour. Also, look for Mexican cinnamon, epazote and hibiscus flowers which can all be used to add flavour.
Always add lime
A little squeeze of lime on any taco makes all the difference. Salsas, guacamole, a sprinkle of Queso Fresco cheese, fresh coriander, radish or chillies are also all great.
For more info about Cafe Chula and where to find them, click here.